The Children's Nature Institute
|Reports to:||Board of Directors|
|Date Posted:||December 17, 2007|
|Start Date:||March, 2008 or agreed upon earlier date|
The Executive Directorship position offers an opportunity to take a well-established organization to exciting new levels. For over two decades we have used nature as a tool to amplify the educational experiences of very young children and increase environmental awareness. Our board of directors wants to see our programs deepen, expand, and have even more impact. We need an energetic, "big picture" person who is not afraid to roll up their sleeves. We are seeking a new director who has the enthusiasm, commitment and relationships to enable us to grow the organization, move it to higher levels, work with our community and partner with other institutions, become a national and international model, influence how children are educated and help create environmentally responsible people.
The Executive Director (ED) insures that the Organization's mission, philosophy and policies are maintained and directs all aspects of programs and events.
- Oversees publications, public relations, web site.
- Hires, trains, evaluate and manage staff and independent contractors, oversee volunteers; expansion and development of curriculum.
- Decision making and policy implementation responsibility regarding liability issues, including insurance and risk control mechanisms.
- Insures that all safety guidelines are followed and new ones created when necessary.
- Is knowledgeable and keeps abreast of issues relating to early childhood education, the environment, young children and the community.
The ED works closely with the Organization's Board of Directors to set the direction and goals of the organization.
- Works with Board on strategic planning.
- Serves on and staffs Board of Directors, Executive Board and Board committees.
- Identifies potential new Board Members.
- Keeps Board educated about activities and issues.
- Assists with Board Meeting agenda development.
- Submits agency budget for Board approval.
The ED manages the Organization's fundraising program.
- Creates fundraising plans.
- Cultivates relationships with current and potential donors.
- Oversees foundation, government and corporate grant writing, grant research, grant implementation and reports, as well as sponsorships.
- Oversees membership solicitation projects and all related materials.
The ED is responsible for Organization's fiscal oversight, management and growth.
- Develops annual program and project budgets with CFO and Asst. CFO.
- Insures that expenses remain within the budget, financial records and reports are maintained and sufficient funds are raised.
- Reviews financial statements with Assistant CFO and CFO.
The ED serves as organization's key public spokesperson.
- Builds and maintains relationships with community volunteers, community leaders and elected officials.
- Acts as a liaison with public, media, political staff and other organizations.
- Networks within the community to increase funding for and awareness of the Organization.
The Executive Director is a mission-driven, ambitious, strategic-minded, personable individual with proven leadership skills. Required qualifications are:
- Bachelor's degree
- Experience with nature, environment and early childhood education fields
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Success in fundraising including writing and securing grants, donations, major gifts, capital campaign
- Experience with administrative and fiscal management including oversight of staff and volunteers, multiple programs and projects
- Excellent computer skills
Please send cover letter, resume and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. Due to overwhelming response, we may not be able to contact you unless you have been selected for an interview. You will be contacted within ten days of sending your resume if you have been selected for an interview. No phone calls please.
If you are interested in becoming a CNI volunteer or would
like more information, please visit the volunteers